Re: General Discussion

TFIR wrote:I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere, but...

Fausto Carmona - S - Indians

Roberto Hernandez Heredia, formerly known as Fausto Carmona, pitched one inning Monday at the Indians' academy in the Dominican Republic.

Hernandez was placed on baseball's restricted list after he was arrested in January on false identity charges, but he's still preparing for the start of the season. He is hoping to obtain a judicial pardon in order to return the United States and rejoin the Indians.

How was this sinker?

TFIR wrote:I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere, but...

Fausto Carmona - S - Indians

Roberto Hernandez Heredia, formerly known as Fausto Carmona, pitched one inning Monday at the Indians' academy in the Dominican Republic.

Hernandez was placed on baseball's restricted list after he was arrested in January on false identity charges, but he's still preparing for the start of the season. He is hoping to obtain a judicial pardon in order to return the United States and rejoin the Indians.

How was this sinker? It is not as if this bozo never went down to the low minors before.

Everyone,

I was back in Ashland, Ohio this past weekend, and was able to spend some time with our dear friend Donna (and her husband as well). As many know, she has suffered 2 strokes over the last few years -- the last one has left her with some reading challenges. They way she and Sonny put it -- you can dictate a sentence to her, and she can write it word for word, and spelling is good and everything is right. But if you ask her to read what she just wrote, some connections somewhere are mis-firing, and she is just unable to make sense of the letters on the page. As you might imagine, this makes computer time not only frustrating, but also pretty nonproductive. Some peripheral vision loss as well, but I think it's the reading that is most challenging.

That aside, I am happy to report that her spirits are wonderfully high, and she continues to work with various therapeutic professionals in her recovery. She had asked me to drop a note and let you all know that she says hello and that she misses everyone. She was pleased to learn that we continue to tarry on with the old Tribe Forum, but obviously, she is not able to help carry that torch (for now).

So that's what I know. We did talk a bit of baseball, and all three of us lamented Grady's injuries. Our suspicion of steroid use was unanimous, and none of us held out much hope for a pennant this year.

Darkstar, if you could relay a message: Wish her well & Godspeeed with recovery. Also to let her know that it is a small world in that her friend Jackie McQuillen & I grew up together in the same neighborhood. Must have been 20 some kids back then with about 9 families. Everybody knew everybody & watched out for each other as well. Larry

The AP in Santa Domingo is reporting that Indians starting pitcher Roberto Hernandez Heredia, formerly known as Fausto Carmona, has agreed to a deal to have his charges of fake identity against him dropped.

The report says that Hernandez will have to complete a work program in his native Dominican Republic in order to have the charges dropped.

Hernandez has been on baseball’s restricted list for the past few months after his arrest in January on false identity charges.

Authorities say that the pitcher is actually 31 years old, not 28 as he had claimed to the Indians.

If he can get a judicial pardon to return to the United States, he should be able to report back to the Indians and be able to pitch in plenty of time to be ready for the 2012 season.

The Indians have yet to release any statement about Hernandez, or the charges being dismissed.

Darkstar wrote:Everyone,

I was back in Ashland, Ohio this past weekend, and was able to spend some time with our dear friend Donna (and her husband as well). As many know, she has suffered 2 strokes over the last few years -- the last one has left her with some reading challenges. They way she and Sonny put it -- you can dictate a sentence to her, and she can write it word for word, and spelling is good and everything is right. But if you ask her to read what she just wrote, some connections somewhere are mis-firing, and she is just unable to make sense of the letters on the page. As you might imagine, this makes computer time not only frustrating, but also pretty nonproductive. Some peripheral vision loss as well, but I think it's the reading that is most challenging.

That aside, I am happy to report that her spirits are wonderfully high, and she continues to work with various therapeutic professionals in her recovery. She had asked me to drop a note and let you all know that she says hello and that she misses everyone. She was pleased to learn that we continue to tarry on with the old Tribe Forum, but obviously, she is not able to help carry that torch (for now).

So that's what I know. We did talk a bit of baseball, and all three of us lamented Grady's injuries. Our suspicion of steroid use was unanimous, and none of us held out much hope for a pennant this year.

Thanks for the report, Darkstar. And thank you for being a board ambassador.

I'm betting that Donna has a better chance of getting back to health and contributing than Grady Sizemore.

gaylord perry wrote:Thanks, for asking, but all I can think of is a quilt with all of our signatures. In Tribe colors, of course.

BTW, I almost posted this earlier but didn't. My son - aka Coaster Fanatic is engaged to a girl from Cincinnati.
Congrat's Gaylord. She is not a Red's fan is she?
UD

gaylord perry wrote:Thanks, for asking, but all I can think of is a quilt with all of our signatures. In Tribe colors, of course.

BTW, I almost posted this earlier but didn't. My son - aka Coaster Fanatic is engaged to a girl from Cincinnati.

I'll be happy to pay someone to do whatever one does to put one's signature on a quilt, or something.

Not doubting that Donna would like it, but pretty sure most of the guys here are pretty clueless about quilting.

By the way, congratulations for getting the son married off.....to a girl from Cincinnati.

:-)

Is she "Southern" Cincy, or more Blue Ash? Or Taft?

Looks like visits to King's Island are in the future!

Darn, now I'm craving some Skyline Chili!