Re: SPRING TRAINING 2012!

Another marvelous day in the Valley of the Sun.

The big bats were wishing they were on the golf course, like me.

Putrid is the word I would use for the "faux" baseball the Tribe tried to play today.
Runs for 3

Runs against 23

Manny better start kicking or kissing some ass. Maybe a little of both.

The big bats were wishing they were on the golf course, like me.

Sounds like a need for better planning, or greater assertiveness.

:-)

(I mowed and edged the lawn yesterday, and steam cleaned the carpet today, and let's just say it was my preferred choice of activities.....let's just say.....

I did enjoy NASCAR today, except for AJ Allmendinger falling victim to yet another mechanical failure

No horse racing bets were harmed in the typing of this post......)

tampasteve63 wrote:Hi Gang!

I'm still here. I must admit that since the both the Tribe and local politicians sold out and decided to leave Winter Haven, my interest in Spring Training has waned drastically. Sports in general mean little more to me than entertainment. Where I used to have an emotional attachment to Cleveland teams, I now just want to see good, well played, games, regardless of the sport or team. I am also not a fan of the new forum layout. Too bad World Crossing went under. I am not sure if this post is even going to go where I would like it! LOL ... I guess I need to post more than once every 6-8 months! I hope everyone is in good health and prospering. I'll try to make it here more often!

Tampa Steve
, I understand your path to lighten your load of sports fandom, and life in general.

As I've aged, I yearn and strive for a lightened life, too.

But on my deathbed, I assure I will want to know how our Cleveland team guys are doing.

Indians first, Browns second, and maybe occasionally The Cavs.

joez wrote:Great to hear from you again Steve.

My wife and sister-in-law and possibly my daughter will be staying a week at Belleair Beach again. My thoughts were on Lenny's when they were making their plans.
Lots of businesses on US 19 have closed since they have elevated the highway in a lot of areas. But Lenny's is still open.

Ubaldo uneven in three innings against D-backs
By Jordan Bastian / MLB.com | 03/12/12 7:10 PM ET

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- D-backs left-hander Joe Saunders was counting his blessings after surviving a sharp line drive to the shin during the Indians' 3-2 Cactus League victory on Monday afternoon at Goodyear Ballpark.

In the first inning, Cleveland's Carlos Santana sent a two-out pitch back up the middle, where it struck Saunders on the left leg. After meeting with a team trainer, Saunders attempted a warmup pitch before exiting the ballgame.

"It just caught me on the side of the shin," said Saunders, who projects to open the season as the D-backs' fourth starter. "Felt like I could have gone on, but it was a little tough to push off. They played the side of being cautious and I can't really fault them for that."

On the play, Saunders misfired on a throw to first base, resulting in an error that allowed Santana to move up to second. Arizona righty Joe Martinez entered in relief and promptly surrendered three consecutive hits to help the Indians run to a 2-1 lead. Shelley Duncan and Ryan Spilborghs each contributed an RBI single against the D-backs.

Indians starter Ubaldo Jimenez, who will begin the year in the rotation's No. 2 slot, allowed one run over three innings in his third outing of the spring. Overall, the right-hander logged 57 pitches, including 34 strikes, ending with three hits allowed, two walks issued and one strikeout. Jimenez stuck with throwing fastballs, splitters and sliders.

"I'm feeling better and better every time," Jimenez said. "I feel like my arm is getting in shape. I was a little bit out of control the first couple of innings, but this is Spring Training. It's still early. I'm going to be ready for the season."

In the first inning, Willie Bloomquist led things off by slicing a pitch from Jimenez down the right-field line for a double. Bloomquist then advanced to third base on a flyout by Ryan Roberts and scored on a groundout from Jason Kubel. The D-backs loaded the bases against Jimenez with one out in the second, but the pitcher escaped unscathed.

Cleveland added a run in the fourth inning, when lefty Zach Kroenke took over on the mound for Martinez. Left fielder Aaron Cunningham, vying for either a starting outfield job or a bench role, got the rally started with a leadoff double for the Indians. Later in the frame, Duncan drew a bases-loaded walk with two outs to push the Tribe out front, 3-1.

Arizona scratched out one more run in the sixth inning, when Cleveland turned the ball over to veteran reliever Dan Wheeler. Rusty Ryal led off with a single to right field and moved to second base when Wheeler, competing for a bullpen job, walked Henry Blanco. Two batters later, Bloomquist brought Ryal home with a run-scoring base hit.

Up next for the Indians: Goodyear Ballpark will play host to one of this past winter's marquee additions on Tuesday, when Rangers right-hander Yu Darvish takes the hill against the Indians. Josh Tomlin will get the nod for the Indians in the 4:05 p.m. ET contest. Right-hander Zach McAllister, who is fighting for the fifth spot in Cleveland's rotation, is also slated to pitch against Texas.

Wednesday is the day The 2012 Cleveland Indians are featured on the MLB Network.

I stumbled onto the day for Oakland today, and it was an entertaining watch.

27 holes? Of course, a cart?

I haven't golfed in a few years, but I rarely had the patience or time for more than 18, and often was happy with just 9.

Some of my best memories were racing to a course after viewing a Browns game with my brother when we were both in South Carolina, then getting in 9 holes before darkness.

Looks like Jose Lopez is the odds on favorite for one of the bench jobs. He's looked good at first, second, and third, plus......he can hit.

Duncan in left, Pie/Brantley in center (loser starts the season on the bench), and Choo in right.

(Pie exited Sunday's 6-1 Cactus League loss to the Rangers in the eighth inning after running hard into the center-field wall at Surprise Stadium. Hope he's ok)

Marson has no competition. He owns the number one spot on the bench.

Chisenhall/Hannahan loser to the bench.

LaPorta to Columbus.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller