Re: General Discussion

rusty2 wrote:So why does no one take Gilbert's or Lerner's money ?

People in Cleveland do not like it but Detroit is a more preferred location when it comes to major league sports.

Please do not reference Ken M unless we are talking about crying. That is something he understands.

The Cavaliers were operating over the NBA salary cap for years. They weren't spending on too many free agents, but they made plenty of trades that added payroll (several of them spinoffs of the one big free agent signing they did make, Larry Hughes).

The Browns have spent in the free agent market when they have wanted to; there seems to be a philosophical bent against it with the current regime, for reasons I don't quite get since there are no shortage of needs. The Browns' biggest problem right now is that they aren't willing to overpay (usually a good idea, considering the cap), and the team is rightly seen as a joke that no one ambitious would want to play for if they have other offers for similar money.

I guess I would put it this way: based on what we've been able to learn about the personality of Dan Gilbert, does anybody think that if he owned the Indians, he'd be satisfied with doing absolutely nothing in a season where we're supposedly in one of those "windows of contention?" The entire organization has sent a horribly demoralizing message to its fans with this comatose offseason, and fake news like almost! signing Carlos Beltran (surrrre they did) just makes it worse.

This is the only organization in baseball, and possibly the only one in American team sports, whose record for aggregate team payroll was set over 10 years ago (2001).

Really goes to show how pointless trading for Jimenez was. Call me pessimistic if you want, but the Fielder signing pretty slams the Indians window of opportunity shut in my view.

I admire the Indians for trying to be bold but they were deluding themselves if they really thought they were even close and filling needs with a bunch of if's, but`s and maybes really hasn't helped.

And Philly played BoSox in the '11 WS with Philly taking it all. oh wait, spending money don't mean shite. but yes, the season is a little tougher to win but who says Cabrera holds out if he indeed does play 3rd base. I would rather watch the games come April than speculate on February 24. It won't be easy but winning isn't easy. ask Philly and Boston.

rusty2 wrote:Damn, I wonder why the Brewers did not win everything since they had Prince Fielder ?

If you think that move sealed the season then you need to grab your diaper and go cry in the corner with Ken M.
Perhaps I could have been clearer in my initial post, but I thought my second paragraph indicated that I don't think Fielder on his own seals the deal.

The sum of parts including that the Tigers were already a pretty decent ballclub to begin with coupled with the magic beans approach from the Indians will go pretty close to slamming the door and with Martinez out I don't see them having to worry about Cabrera at 3B until 2013.

Don't get me wrong I think over the long term it's an awful deal for Tigers but it will put the Indians into rebuild mode well before it hurts them.

Hey I'd like to be wrong, but I stand by my original comment regarding the trade of Jimenez. The Indians couldn't score any runs last season where exactly are they coming from with what they have signed up so far?

A decent 1B will help but I'm not sure it will be enough.

I'm less bothered by the Tigers signing Fielder--he should do more than what they got out of Martinez last season, but not by a huge amount--than by what the Indians haven't done these last three months, which is pretty much everything.

And when you consider (as stated above) that the Tigers were already better than the Indians to begin with, and by a significant margin, you really have to question what the Jimenez trade was about, since there was clearly no plan for an overall upgrade of talent. I was in favor of the trade, but only because I assumed it meant we were making the commitment to go balls-out to win that we refused to make when we wouldn't trade for Pedro Martinez, or at any time from 2005-09 other than the stupid decision to overpay for a closer. This assumption was clearly incorrect.

Our last "upgrade" is what enabled us to go from horrible to .500, but now there's nothing left in the pipeline and there's no willingness to spend even though we can finally see the light at the end of the Hafner contract. It's obvious there was no grand strategy at work, just a hope that we can get lucky with a ragpick or two.

Charlie T. wrote:I'm less bothered by the Tigers signing Fielder--he should do more than what they got out of Martinez last season, but not by a huge amount--than by what the Indians haven't done these last three months, which is pretty much everything.

And when you consider (as stated above) that the Tigers were already better than the Indians to begin with, and by a significant margin, you really have to question what the Jimenez trade was about, since there was clearly no plan for an overall upgrade of talent. I was in favor of the trade, but only because I assumed it meant we were making the commitment to go balls-out to win that we refused to make when we wouldn't trade for Pedro Martinez, or at any time from 2005-09 other than the stupid decision to overpay for a closer. This assumption was clearly incorrect.

Our last "upgrade" is what enabled us to go from horrible to .500, but now there's nothing left in the pipeline and there's no willingness to spend even though we can finally see the light at the end of the Hafner contract. It's obvious there was no grand strategy at work, just a hope that we can get lucky with a ragpick or two.
The dolanites on the forum would argue that it is improper to question what dolan does with his money. We should be happy with the 4A crumbs he gives us. Afterall the team is from Cleveland which havent you heard is from the Midwest and there was a recession and we cant compete with the middle market teams and besides the payroll is going up this year what with the raises being given to a few of our players. Isnt it enought to be able to say that we competed through April and besides this is Browns town and once the NFL draft rolls around baseball is way behind the 8 ball andway and besides the system is unfair and anyone who complains about our miserly owner is a whiner and who wants to win a championship in their lifetime anway.

What bugs me is that, whether or not Fielder gives the Tigers the title, his acquisition creates a major buzz in Detroit. Don't forget his dad played there before him. I've been to several games in Cleveland the last few years, and, with the exception of the first few games Thome appeared in, the atmosphere was dead. The Indians probably won't ever have a sellout streak like the 90s again, but wouldn't it be nice to have some excitement? Ilitch may not always make the wisest decisions (seems like a very long contract for Fielder, eg) but at least he shows the fans he cares about producing a competitive and entertaining product.

J.R. wrote:What bugs me is that, whether or not Fielder gives the Tigers the title, his acquisition creates a major buzz in Detroit. Don't forget his dad played there before him. I've been to several games in Cleveland the last few years, and, with the exception of the first few games Thome appeared in, the atmosphere was dead. The Indians probably won't ever have a sellout streak like the 90s again, but wouldn't it be nice to have some excitement? Ilitch may not always make the wisest decisions (seems like a very long contract for Fielder, eg) but at least he shows the fans he cares about producing a competitive and entertaining product.
Dolan very much cares about his wallet.

You go Ken! I think many of your ideas have merit. I've always read your posts. I haven't made many comments mainly because I agree with most of what you post.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller