Re: General Discussion

TDU: From the above article:

Details are still pouring in, but remember that Marlins' right-hander Juan Carlos Oviedo (formerly known as Leo Nunez) was able to avoid jail time in the Dominican Republic after faking his identity and the club signed him to a new contract this week.

However, it seems that the Indians should be able to void his contract based on the age deception.

I can just see it now when he pitches at an away field. If he pitches as Fausto, the crowd will yell "Roberto...Roberto!"

If he pitches as Roberto, they will yell "Fausto...Fausto!"

We seem to never catch a break.

Well here is one possibly: my local paper says Drew Pomeranz may not have to face distubing the peace violations.

Regarding the Carmona situation, I'd be checking in on the availability of Jeremy Guthrie.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

joez wrote:Regarding the Carmona situation, I'd be checking in on the availability of Jeremy Guthrie.

With a nod to Hollywood, The Great Impostor, or The Magic Christian?

I wonder what role Mark Shapiro was playing for The Cleveland Indians when "Carmona" was signed at whatever age he was in late 2000?

I suspect Carmona will be with The Tribe for Spring Training.

These things have a way of working out when established MLB guys are involved.

rusty2 wrote:Bottom line is that they can not replace him for 7 million. Only thing the Tribe is upset about is that he might miss spring training and that he hurt his trade value if he could have a good season.
Getting a new passport with his actual name isn't a 5 minute process. There is good chance he misses the start of the season never mind spring training and like I said in an earlier post if his real identity cannot be verified he may not get back into the country at all.

Of course that is a worst scenario and may not happen, but it is worth keeping in mind.

I would assume that this Herredia guy knew that he lied and made up this dumb fausto carmona name. Why was he so stupid that he decided to go back to the Dominican. More importantly did we get the usual story years ago that he bought his mom a house. Why didnt the intrepid Hoysnie ask why her name was Herredia and not Carmon.

Wish they'd take the cash they are throwing around and put it toward a ballplayer that could actually be a contributing force this year.
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller