Re: Articles

Today the Indians announced that they have re-signed free agent outfielder Grady Sizemore to a one year contract. The deal will pay him a $5 million base salary which includes an additional $4 million in incentives which will not begin to kick in until he reaches 450 at bats.

Sizemore, 29, is a three-time American League All-Star (2006-08) and is the only player in the 111-year history of the Indians to amass 200 career doubles, 100 home runs and 100 stolen bases. He owns an 8-year career Major League batting average of .269 (948-3527) with 216 doubles, 43 triples, 139 home runs and 458 RBI in 892 games over 8 seasons since debuting with Cleveland in 2004. He is just 52 hits shy of 1,000 for his career and in 2008 became just the second player in franchise history to amass 30 home runs and 30 steals in a single season. His 53 doubles during the 2006 season are the 3rd highest single-season total in club history.

Last year Sizemore collected 32 extra base hits in 71 games in 2011 and went on to record an OPS of .706 with 21 doubles, 1 triple, 10 home runs and 32 RBI (34RS). In April he hit .378 (17-45) with 8 2B, 4HR & 9RBI in 11 games.

The signing of Sizemore does not effectively end the Indians' search for outfield help this offseason as they are still expected to acquire a right-handed hitting outfielder via free agency or trade. The additional outfielder would help protect them from durability issues with Sizemore and others as well as give them more versatility and punch from the right side.

The signing of Sizemore does not effectively end the Indians' search for outfield help this offseason as they are still expected to acquire a right-handed hitting outfielder via free agency or trade.

This is the key....we'll see.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

People second guessing this move are just ridiculous. 5 million for one year will not get you a decent position player. The Indians got Sizemore and Lowe for basically what they were going to pay Sizemore.

What other teams have made any moves ? Let this thing play out. Could be another RH hitting OF or first baseman. They may surprise everyone.

“So let’s go out for old time’s sake”
By Anthony Castrovince/MLB.com

I wrote recently about what a difficult time the Indians will have replacing Grady Sizemore.

Not Grady Sizemore circa 2011, mind you. But the idea of Grady Sizemore. Someone with anywhere near his athleticism and upside simply doesn’t exist in the Indians’ system, and the thought of finding something resembling that kind of talent on the free-agent or trade markets seemed bleak, at best.

So the Indians went in an entirely different direction — one nobody, from what was being said of Sizemore behind the scenes at least, saw coming before last week’s news leak.

They’re replacing Grady Sizemore with Grady Sizemore.

Brilliant!

Of course, that important clarifier about the idea of Sizemore belongs here, too. The Indians are banking on a notion, not a sure thing… but, of course, you already knew that from the 210 games Grady has played over the last three seasons.

Just as $5 million is an adequate investment into a back-end innings eater like Derek Lowe, so, too, is $5 million a suitable guarantee for a player who dangles on that thin line between risk and reward. And the $4 million in incentives (which, I’m told, actually max out with fewer plate appearances than Grady had in any season from 2005-08), as well as a reported $500,000 bonus if Sizemore wins Comeback Player of the Year honors, ensures that Grady can earn just as much with this deal as he would have with his option, provided he holds up his end of the bargain. This appeases those who wanted the Indians to re-negotiate the option with Sizemore in the first place — something that always seemed unlikely, given the assumption that players are always going to be prone toward feeling out their market before committing to a pay cut.

Keep in mind, of course, that the Indians already dished out $500,000 when they bought out Sizemore’s option earlier this month. As of this writing, I’m not sure if that was factored into the package or if it stands as a separate transaction entirely (if so, good for Grady).

Sizemore likely would have had to work out for other clubs to land this kind of a commitment, and his current knee condition wouldn’t have allowed such a workout until the new year. So the Indians capitalized with an aggressive approach, which, come to think of it, is the theme of their offseason at this point. They are not going to be beaten to the “diamonds in the rough” department.

Nobody knows Sizemore like this team and this medical staff, so there is clearly confidence in Sizemore’s condition. By the time Opening Day rolls around, he’ll be nearly two years removed from microfracture surgery on his left knee, and he’ll be six months removed from the decidedly more tame arthroscopic procedure performed on his right. But don’t forget that second sports hernia surgery Sizemore had performed last summer (his first came near the end of the ’09 season). I remember Torii Hunter telling me this year that it took him a full year to get back to full speed after he had a similar procedure performed at the end of ’09.

You can see Sizemore and his agent working here, as Grady’s comfort level with Cleveland and the Lonnie Soloff-led medical team will put him in the best possible position to have a comeback season and get a big payday a year from now. And you can see the Indians working. Beyond that glaring hole they’re currently filling in the outfield, there is also the distinct possibility of flipping Sizemore at the July Trade Deadline. Such a thing is always a possibility in these parts, as you well know.

But with some hefty arbitration cases coming their way in Asdrubal Cabrera, Shin-Soo Choo, Chris Perez, Raffy Perez, Justin Masterson and Joe Smith, a limited payroll is about to get crunched, so the Indians’ ability to further augment the outfield with a right-handed bat (so clearly needed to not only balance out the bats but also stand as insurance in the event of another Sizemore setback) is in question. Sizemore has been brutal against lefties for the better part of his career, so that further clouds the picture.

The way things stand, the right-handed-hitting Shelley Duncan would again be counted on quite a bit, though his lefty splits (.245/.316/.363) are uninspiring. Perhaps you’ve seen the speculation about putting Jason Donald in the outfield against lefty pitchers because of his .886 OPS against southpaws in his decidedly brief career, to this point. That’s definitely spaghetti-tossing territory.

This team’s need for more power and run-production is evident, and going into the season with Matt LaPorta as the penciled-in option at first base would be unacceptable, considering all we’ve seen. But given the available options out there, the Tribe might be best-suited to just make Carlos Santana primarily a first baseman and add catching depth. That’s a move they were always reluctant to make with Victor Martinez, because his offensive numbers were more valuable behind the plate, but Santana, who hit 27 homers in his first full season, has the power to suit the position, with potentially more in store. Something to consider.

The Sizemore move was surprising, and it’s largely predicated on the kind of nightmare scenario that keeps Clevelanders up at night — a star talent leaving town and flourishing elsewhere. The Indians spent at least $5 million to make sure that doesn’t happen.

For now, it’s brilliant. It could very well backfire. But you can make a strong argument that the idea of Grady Sizemore is better than the reality of a lot of other options out there right now.

~AC

PS: More Wild Cards are coming to baseball. Some people are complaining about this. This column explains why they shouldn’t.

Buster Olney says that Sizemore should get props for going back to the Indians because he realized that there was unfinished business from the past 2 years.

Olney was asked whether there were other players that the Indians could have got with the 5 million ? Olney says no. Suggested that everyone look at Coco Crisp who has been just as injured as Sizemore. Says Crisp will get north of 12 million over 2 years.

Cleveland Indians sign Grady Sizemore to 1-year, $5 million deal

Published: Wednesday, November 23, 2011, 7:38 PM Updated: Wednesday, November 23, 2011, 7:42 PM
By Paul Hoynes, The Plain Dealer

"At the end of the day, this felt like the best fit for me," Grady Sizemore said after re-signing with the Indians on Wednesday. "I wasn't ready to say goodbye. I wasn't ready to move on."
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Grady Sizemore wasn't ready to say goodbye. Now the Indians will see how much weight his return carries.
The Indians and Sizemore came to terms Wednesday on a one-year, $5 million deal after making him a free agent on Oct. 31 when they declined his $9 million club option for 2012. The new deal includes $4 million in incentives based on plate appearances and a $500,000 bonus if he's named comeback player of the year.
The currency of Sizemore's return will be measured in games played. He's appeared in just 210 over the last three years because of five operations, the most serious involving microfracture surgery on his left knee in 2010 and arthroscopic surgery on his right knee on Oct. 3.
"At the end of the day, this felt like the best fit for me," said Sizemore. "I wasn't ready to say goodbye. I wasn't ready to move on."
The Indians' main competition for Sizemore came from the Phillies, Cubs and Rockies. The Phillies and Rockies wanted him to play left field, the Cubs saw him in right. Texas was involved as well, talking to Sizemore about playing center or left.
Sizemore returned not only because they'll give him a chance to play center, but because he wasn't ready to cut the cord.
Manny Ramirez sauntered into free agency in 2000, hitting a home run in his final at-bat as an Indian. Jim Thome thundered into free agency at the end of the 2002 season with a club-record 52 homers. Sizemore limped into the market, dragging a file cabinet of medical reports and three spoiled seasons.
"I didn't like the way things ended the last three years," he said. "I had other good opportunities from good teams, but it was hard to leave."
GM Chris Antonetti expects Sizemore to be ready for spring training. He is currently rehabbing from his right-knee surgery and will visit Dr. Richard Steadman next Tuesday.
"We don't expect Grady to play 150 to 160 games like he has in the past," said Antonetti. "But we expect him to play the vast majority of games next year."
Said Sizemore, "I don't think there's a day that goes by where I've ever thought I can't stay healthy for a year."
The starting outfield, at the moment, has Michael Brantley in left, Sizemore in center and Shin-Soo Choo in right. Shelley Duncan and Jason Donald can provide depth. As for a backup plan if Sizemore can't stay healthy, Antonetti said, "We're going to continue to try and improve the position player part of the roster." He said that doesn't necessarily mean the addition of a right-handed hitter, but one sure wouldn't hurt.
Antonetti, with a little spare change, has turned the $9 million he saved by declining Sizemore's option into two players -- veteran right-hander Derek Lowe (one year, $5 million) and Sizemore (one year, $5 million). As for further improvements among the position players, Antonetti has some options.
"We still have some [payroll] flexibility," he said. He can also use his deep inventory of relief pitchers to improve his offense.
If Sizemore reaches 450 plate appearances, he'll earn $250,000. Here's how the rest of the incentives work:
475 plate appearances -- $250,000;
500 -- $500,000;
525 -- $500,000;
550 -- $500,000;
575 -- $500,000;
600 -- $500,000;
625 -- $500,000; and
650 -- $500,000.
When Antonetti made his offer to Sizemore on Friday following the general managers' meetings in Milwaukee, he set a deadline. The offer was aggressive enough that Joe Urbon, Sizemore's agent, stopped talking to other teams. The structure of the deal was done over the weekend. Sizemore needed to pass a physical, which he did Tuesday in Goodyear, Ariz.
The one-year deal will give Sizemore a chance to re-establish himself next year before hitting the market again. Sizemore hit .224 (60-for-268) with 21 doubles, one triple, 10 homers and 32 RBI in 71 games last season.
In his career, Sizemore is a .269 hitter with 216 doubles, 43 triples, 139 homers and 458 RBI. He's stolen 134 bases and scored 601 runs. In his last full season in the big leagues, he hit .268 (170-for-634) with 101 runs, 33 homers and 90 RBI.
On Twitter: @hoynsie

Terry Pluto

About Grady Sizemore ...
I'm still very lukewarm about the signing of Grady Sizemore. I fear that this season will be more of what we've seen the last three years -- injuries and frustration. I realize there are not a lot of alternatives at $5 million (What a country!), but my reservations linger. Anyway, here is the Tribe's thinking:
1. They believe in Sizemore the person. They know he will put in the work to recover. They know he desperately wants to rebuild his career. They know he really likes being with the Indians. They know that on a one-year contract, he has every reason to excel. He's only 29, not 35.
2. To become a contender in the Central, something special has to happen. They not only need to be good, but a little lucky. Over and over, the Indians will tell you that Sizemore has "more upside" than anyone available for anything close to $5 million for a year.
3. Sizemore gave two hints of his talent last season. When he came off the disabled list on April 17, he batted .378 with four homers and nine RBI (17-of-45) in April. Then injuries came. He was somewhat healthy at the start of July, and batted .283 (13-of-46) with three homers before hurting his right knee again.
4. The Indians also know that from 2005-08, he averaged 28 homers and 80 RBI with an .850 OPS as a leadoff man. If can even come close to that, they have hit the jackpot.
5. But they also know he has averaged only 70 games in the last three years, batting .234 (.727 OPS) averaging nine homers and 40 RBI. He batted .189 vs. lefties, .254 vs. righties. He battled through micro fracture surgery on his left knee, arthroscopic on his right knee, two hernia surgeries and a wrist surgery.
6. For the $9 million they could have paid Sizemore by picking up his option, they added Sizemore and Derek Lowe (in a separate deal with Atlanta, where they picked up $5 million in salary). Yes, it's a $10 million total, and more if Sizemore produces. But they'd love to pay all those bonuses because it means he had more than 400 at-bats and stayed healthy because that's where the incentives kick in.
7. They say Sizemore is their center fielder. Last season, he was very poor in center as his speed was gone due to the knee surgery. My guess is this isn't written in ink. If Sizemore can hit, but has lost his speed, they will move him to left. That assumes Michael Brantley continues to improve and can play center, which is very possible as he can be adequate at that spot.
8. The real question is "Are the Indians done spending?" It's hard to get a direct answer, but here is what I am hearing -- they may have an extra $3 million or so in the budget to spend. They also can create some more money with trades.
9. They know they need a right-handed hitter. They would love that hitter to be an outfielder, who can also play some first base. They doubt that player is available in free agency ... they don't have the $30 million over three years that they expect Michael Cuddyer to receive. So they are working on trades.
10. The Tribe has four relievers coming off good years and eligible for arbitration, meaning significant raises in 2012. Here's the list and their 2011 salaries: Chris Perez ($2.25 million), Raffy Perez ($1.33 million), Joe Smith ($870,000) and Tony Sipp ($436,000).
11. The Indians believe lefty Nick Hagadone is ready to take a bullpen spot, meaning Sipp or Raffy Perez could be available for a trade.
12. If it's a big deal, Chris Perez could be available because they believe Vinnie Pestano can close. Or else, they can trade Joe Smith. They like Zach Putnam (3-3, 3.65 ERA at Class AAA) and Chen Lee (4-0, 2.27 ERA) as righties for the 2012 bullpen. Lee's fastball averages 93 mph and he has hit 97 mph on the radar gun. Between Class AA Akron and Class AAA Columbus, Lee fanned 99 in 71 1/3 innings, walking only 23 and allowing three homers. He signed for $400,000 off the Taiwanese national team.
13. So yes, they could trade Chris Perez, who will receive at least $3 million in his new deal. The depth of the bullpen does help create trades, because many teams need relief.
14. Some fans asked about Jack Hannahan. He is not a free agent, but is eligible for arbitration. The team values his glove at third base, especially with four sinker-ball pitchers in the projected rotation. He also provides depth behind Lonnie Chisenhall, as the Tribe has no other third-base prospects in the upper levels of the minors.
15. There will be two keys to evaluating the Sizemore signing: A) Can he stay at least somewhat healthy and produce? B) Can they add another hitter? Neither question can be answered now.
About the Tribe's uniforms ...
1. The Indians announced some small changes to their uniforms for next season. The script INDIANS is much like the 1948 model. They took some of the piping off. They want to keep a "nostalgic look."
2. I hate the red caps with the blue C. Team president Mark Shapiro said that cap was the team's best seller "by far" last season. So yes, it will be back in weekends. The Indians are adding red socks and sleeves to the white weekend uniforms to match those dreaded red caps.
3. The top jersey seller was the road gray with CLEVELAND on the front.

I agree with each comment in this summary of Pluto's:

I'm still very lukewarm about the signing of Grady Sizemore. I fear that this season will be more of what we've seen the last three years -- injuries and frustration. I realize there are not a lot of alternatives at $5 million (What a country!), but my reservations linger

rusty2 wrote:Within the same piece, Silverman adds that Grady Sizemore's agreement with the Indians caught the Red Sox and some other clubs by surprise, as they thought there would be more time to negotiate with the outfielder.
I missed any Silverman piece in the last several posts, though I understand that as a rabid sports fan you might have seen a reference elsewhere and it washed into here. Or maybe I just did a Jhonny Peralta at shortstop.

If I was single, I'd so want Sara Silverman though.

I've always been a sucker for smart artistic chicks.

Sounds like Shapiro got lucky on this catch of Sizemore.

At least we all hope so.

Red Sox Notes: Manager, Bard, Sizemore, Lamont
By Luke Adams [November 27 at 3:07pm CST]

Boston's lengthy managerial search should be coming to an end this week, as the team is expected to hire either Bobby Valentine or Gene Lamont as its skipper within the next few days. As Joel Sherman of the New York Post writes, Valentine may not be the safe choice, but the club must determine whether or not he's the best choice. Here's more on the Red Sox..

The Red Sox have yet to make an offer to Bobby Valentine, an industry source told Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com.
With perception being that ownership wants Valentine while Gene Lamont is championed by GM Ben Cherington, it would take quite a bit of fortitude from Cherington to go against the owners, tweets Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated.

Troy Renck of the Denver Post expects the Red Sox to hire Valentine.

Boston should convert Daniel Bard into a starter rather than a closer, argues Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald. Former Sox pitching coach Curt Young acknowledges that Bard "does have a starter's repertoire."

Within the same piece, Silverman adds that Grady Sizemore's agreement with the Indians caught the Red Sox and some other clubs by surprise, as they thought there would be more time to negotiate with the outfielder.

Bronson Arroyo believes that his former manager in PIttsburgh, Gene Lamont, could be a successful manager in Boston, writes Rob Bradford of WEEI.com. The pitcher added that Lamont has a similar managerial style to Terry Francona.