Re: General Discussion

Since Pete's gambling occurred in his managing career, I still think he should be in the Hall of Fame for his playing career, and banned from baseball managing, coaching etc.

IMO it's the ultimate absurdity. Baseball is a game involving hitting a ball with a bat. This guy had more hits than anyone in history. Hall of Fame should be a no brainer.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

No steroids whatsoever when I played J.R.. In fact lifting weights was considered taboo, especially for pitchers, when I played. They said it would restrict your range of motion.

First time I really heard about or saw steroids was Brian Bosworth. I was talking to Doug Dieken during last years training camp and he played left tackle at 237 lbs.

I have a friend who played pro football in the late 70s, into the 80's - 6 years total, all for the Jets.

He assures me that Klecko and Gastineau were on steroids. Told me that Gastineau was a skinny kid at first, then one offseason he came back huge. Everyone assumed it was 'roids - you couldn't bulk up THAT much on just workouts.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

I remember early in the 80s, I had a skinny little kid in my 7th grade English class, kind of a pain, but mostly immature. 4 years later he was in my Latin class, and was twice the size, a very good athlete, and very belligerent, with a short fuse. I realized later that it was probably steroids. ( I hadn't heard much about them back then)