Re: General Discussion

It's official: I'm going to the game tomorrow--and since we're in a suite, I won't have to concern myself with the still-ridiculous heat.

I haven't been to any Indians game in 3 years (the game where Gary Sheffield got into it with Fausto Carmona), and I've never seen them in a visiting park.

Damn, Charlie, you're a dead ringer for the lead singer of Alabama!

I hope you had some nachos, with cheese and jalapenos......that was the fave dish of the little petite blonde girl who lived in Arlington I happily went to Rangers games with in days of yore, and Nolan Ryan.

Her name was "Stevelyn."

I met her on a flight sitting next to me from somewhere to somewhere.

My big surprising "hook line" when we introduced ourselves was "I'll venture a guess that you are an only child and your Dad's name is Steve?"

Of course I was correct.

I had her at the 2nd drink and we were fast friends and "when in the port" realistic companions.

Seriously, I hope you are having a good time with your Texas girl, and I hope and suspect you are still writing.

You still get my personal blue ribbon for being the best writer around these boards.

Alex White - S - Rockies

Alex White was rocked by the Giants Friday, allowing six runs on nine hits and three walks over 5 2/3 innings.
He struck out three and served up longballs to Cody Ross and Brandon Belt. White has been awfully disappointing since coming off the disabled list, posting an 8.46 ERA and 1.81 WHIP in his five outings for the Rockies. He still has long-term upside but clear can't be trusted in fantasy leagues right now. White will get the Padres next week.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

I found this interesting, from the ABJ.

His repertoire consisted of a lot of fastballs in the 91-93 mph range. No 98s, 97s or 96s. He mixed in a few 95s but rarely. Breaking pitches and off-speed stuff also kept the Twins on their heels, so the velocity issue that has swirled around Jimenez the entire season was a nonissue Friday night.

“His lack of velocity has to do with that groin injury early in the season,” Acta said. “He just never caught up.”

That’s why Jimenez (10-11, 4.49 ERA) is hoping to continue to pitch the way he has the past month. In his past five starts, Jimenez is averaging more than 6· innings per game with a 2.78 ERA.

“That means a lot to me, especially the way I started the season,” he said. “The first three months were not easy for me, so finishing strong means a lot.”
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

TFIR- I heard announcers for the Twins whose feed I was getting talk about Ubaldo's delivery being a possible elbow destroyer. If true it would make the trade look sour. Otherwise I give credit to management for pulling off something that might have helped us really compete against the big boys sooner rather than later.

White and Pomeranz may become good pitchers, even great ones but they also can be like the majority of our number 1 picks: average or worse. Ubaldo at least had shown that he could be a good major League pitcher.

Looking at his recent results, it's interesting to see that he can pitch effectively, even without his best heater. Maybe he is learning to pitch - and that may help him next year.

Especially if Acta is correct in saying the injury held him back. Perhaps a full offseason and healthy start next year will build that arm strength back.

Hey, it excites me that these guys were willing to go out and trade for Jimenez. No matter what, I give them credit.

Caught up on as many posts as possible. I thought the team would be good this year. Healthy Choo, Grady and Hafner and who knows?

Real busy with my blog, and still doing the newspaper stuff. Not a good time to be a newspaperman.

Sacrifice is not following the team.

Take care.