Re: General Discussion

Rockies prospect left-hander Drew Pomeranz will make his major league debut in a start against the Reds on Sunday.
Pomeranz, 22, was acquired from the Indians as part of the Ubaldo Jimenez trade in July. The 2010 first-round pick has a 1.78 ERA and 119/38 K/BB ratio over his first 20 starts as a pro and has all the makings of a future front-line starter. He has made quick progress since undergoing an emergency appendectomy on August 20, including three perfect innings during a start with Double-A Tulsa on Monday. We wouldn't invest too heavily in him this season, as the Rockies will likely only give him a start or two down the stretch, but he is obviously a name to file away for the future.

Source: Thomas Harding on Twitter Sep 6 - 5:11 PM

Travis Hafner - DH - Indians
Travis Hafner may still need surgery on his right foot, even if he is able to return in September.
Hafner was placed on the disabled list after straining a tendon on the bottom of his right foot on August 21. He has begun ramping up his rehab in recent days, but if he is able to return this month, the Indians will use the time to determine whether he needs surgery during the offseason.

Source: Paul Hoynes on Twitter Sep 6 - 5:09 PM

Newest Indian

Talking K’s and Canines With Jason Rice
Jason Rice had an eventful off-season. He pitched in the Arizona Fall League, took part in the Red Sox Rookie Orientation Program, and even got engaged.

But none of those things were the activity he mentioned first when I asked the 24-year-old Californian if he did anything interesting this winter.

“I got a puppy – a black lab named Cutter,” Rice said with a big smile. “I actually have two dogs – both Labradors – one is named Rookie and the other is named Cutter.”

(photos courtesy of Kelly O’Connor)

The dogs made the trip to Ft. Myers and Rice is taking part in his first big league training camp as a non-roster invitee. Jason tossed a perfect inning in Boston’s first exhibition game – a 6-0 win over Boston College on Saturday.

“He’s got a big arm,” said Red Sox Vice President of Player Development and Amateur Scouting Mike Hazen. “We’ve had him up to 98 mph – he probably sits more like 94-95 – but he has a hammer for a curveball as well. As he’s gotten more consistent within the strike zone, we’ve really seen the performance take off. We want to see that continue over the next year or so. He has a major league arm – now it’s about command and being able to pitch through situations. We’ve been very pleasantly surprised with what we’ve had over the last couple of years – especially considering how we got him.”

The Red Sox obtained Rice from the White Sox organization prior to the 2009 season in the Triple-A phase of the Rule 5 draft. After bouncing back-and-forth between the rotation and the bullpen in four minor league seasons with Chicago, Rice has been used exclusively in relief in two seasons with Boston. Last year, the 5’10″ righty earned Eastern League All-Star honors after going 3-2 with 13 saves and a 2.85 ERA (71 K in 60 IP) for Double-A Portland.

“My goal every year is to climb one level higher,” Rice said. “I think I’m progressing at a good pace right now and I hope I can do well enough in spring training to put myself in position to get to Pawtucket when they need me there.”

In addition to having an outstanding season in Portland last year; Rice was named the Sea Dogs’ Citizen of the Year for frequently speaking to kids at hospitals, schools, and summer camps.

“I grew up in a tough neighborhood in Southern California and I wish that somebody in my current position would have talked to me and my friends,” Rice said. “Now that I have a chance to do it – I need to do it.”

Rice sounded like an excited kid when I asked him about his experience in the Red Sox Rookie Orientation Program in January.

“It was amazing – out of this world,” Jason said. “I had always wanted to visit Fenway Park. I’ve always wondered what the park looks like. When I got invited to the rookie program and got a chance to talk to Theo and Tito, it was unbelievable. It was overwhelming and a humbling experience at the same time. You have to know the history behind it and all of the guys that have played there. It’s my dream to be there.”

He wouldn’t be the first person to name a dog “Fenway.”

Outrighted To Triple-A: Jerad Head
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [September 9 at 1:59pm CST]
The latest players to get outrighted to the minor leagues...

The Indians announced that they outrighted Jerad Head to the Triple-A Columbus roster after he cleared waivers. The Indians designated Head for assignment on Wednesday after he made his MLB debut on August 28th. The 28-year-old corner outfielder hit .284/.338/.526 with 24 home runs in 463 Triple-A plate appearances this year.

Sounds like he should be available to the Clippers as they continue their playoff run. Up 2-0 in first round of IL series. They were AAA World Series champs last year. Which is a little overstated since the PCL and IL play a one-game championship after the league playoffs go through their 2 rounds.

The Rockies have told Chris Iannetta he'll take a backseat to Wilin Rosario for the rest of the month.
Iannetta has been one of the NL's better catchers with his .237/.370/.409 line this season, but the Rockies want to get a look at their youngster. It'd be no surprise if Iannetta gets traded this winter.

Related: Wilin Rosario
Source: Troy Renck on Twitter

You would think that this guy would be a target of the Indians.

Drew Pomeranz picked up the win in his major league debut Sunday, tossing five scoreless innings while allowing just two hits and two walks in a 4-1 victory over the Reds.
Pomeranz could have gone deeper in the game, as he threw just 63 pitches, but the Rockies just wanted to ease him into things in what was in effect a piggyback start, with Jason Hammel pitching the final four frames. It was a terrific performance from the centerpiece of the Ubaldo Jimenez trade, though it's not clear if he'll get another start. If he does and the Rockies give him a longer leash, which probably won't happen, he's worth a look in mixed leagues.
Sep 11 - 6:06 PM

Guess his wife does not need Manny either. Just more roid rage.

According to TMZ, Manny Ramirez has been arrested in Florida over a domestic incident.

Witnesses told TMZ that Ramirez was involved in an altercation with his wife. He is in custody, according to the website. Ramirez retired from baseball in April after failing a drug test during spring training. He would have to serve a 100-game suspension if he ever thought about making a comeback.
Source: TMZ.com Sep 12 - 8:16 PM

MANNY RAMIREZ
Arrested for Domestic Violence

Former World Series MVP Manny Ramirez has been arrested for allegedly committing domestic violence ... TMZ has learned.

Witnesses tell TMZ Ramirez was taken out of his Weston, Florida home at around 7 PM ET in handcuffs. We're told Ramirez' wife was in the house. Two witnesses tell TMZ Ramirez and his wife were involved in an altercation.

Ramirez' wife, Juliana, left the house shortly after Ramirez was taken away in the back of a police car.

He is currently in custody.