Re: General Discussion

rusty2 wrote:castrovince Anthony Castrovince

Guy on radio criticizing Indians for not trading for Thome a month ago. ~ I wasn't aware you could play two DHs a day. Diabolical.

2 hours ago
Yep.

If Hafner was healthy I doubt the Indians would have bothered with Thome.

A little surprised over all the buzz with Thome. Don't get me wrong I think he will help out but it's not like the Indians acquired a player in his prime. The guy is pushing 41.

rusty2 wrote:Sorry Ken, Manny is not allowed in MLB for cheating and Albert Belle can hardly walk from cheating.
An old clean manny would hit better than our current stiffs

An old clean joey with an artificial hip would hit better than our stiffs

An old Omar would certainly catch the ball better than our stiffs

Where is carlos baerga?

Thome said the decision to return was an easy one, given the history and that the Indians are clinging to a pennant race.
Of course, the Peoria, Ill., native, who turns 41 on Saturday, is not that guy anymore.
He arrived at Progressive Field hitting .243 with 12 homers and 40 RBI in 71 games.
Swapping out Hafner for Thome, both left-handed power hitters, is like subbing twins. Hafner has been on and off the injury list. Thome, who discussed playing time with Tribe manager Manny Acta, suffers lower back problems.
"I'd like to play every day,'' Thome said. "I don't think my body would let it, though.''
The five-time All-Star bolted for Philadelphia as a free agent after the 2002 season - a year in which he set the single-season franchise record with 52 home runs.
Thome had promised fans at the time that his Indians' jersey would have to be torn off his back, that's how committed he was to the city. When he left, fans felt betrayed.
Looking back, he said, maybe it wasn't the right choice of words. It's something he regrets.
"Maybe you're given a chance to say you were sorry,'' he said. "Maybe that's why I'm sitting here.''

Shawn (DC)

Hi Jim --- i came upon an ashtonishing stat today. The Tigers are now 59-0 this season when leading after the seventh inning. For all the flack their bullpen has gotten, this proves that they have really gotten it down this year.

Jim Bowden (11:51 AM)

Yes and Jose Valverde has not blown one single save yet. Thanks goodness they have a 9m team option on him for next year. Benoit was a great sign to set-him-up and Jim Leyland handles the bullpen as good as any MGR in baseball

TDU wrote:
seagull wrote:Weglarz is a stiff. He's on the 40. Maybe the Twinks will take him.
A player to be named later cannot be on the 40 man roster.

That said someone will have to be dropped to make room for Thome or put someone on the 60 day DL which could be Hafner.

Players that have plate discipline like Weglarz usually have decent Major League careers. Problem is I don't think he will stay healthy long enough for that to matter.

We certainly shouldn't be giving up more than the equivalent of Yohan Pino, the guy we got from the Twins in the Carl Pavano trade--in other words, a non-prospect.

I'm glad Thome is back. With Hafner hurt, he's an obvious fit even if he hadn't played here before...when Thome hit #600, ESPN showed some of Thome's other milestone homers, including his first--a game that I remember watching. I think it was the last Friday night of the 1991 season.

Of course, ESPN then managed to insult the Tribe when Bobby Valentine made comments implying that Thome is best known as a Phillie. :roll:

No. 9 batter Lou Marson walked. Royals manager Ned Yost hooked Paulino for lefty Tim Collins, who fell behind lefty Ezequiel Carrera, 3-1. Carrera fouled off two pitches before taking a fastball low to push across the go-ahead run.
"[Ezequiel] swung 2-1 and 3-1; I think the crowd got him overly pumped up," Acta said. "But he got the walk. That's the main thing."

Sounds like Carrera is brain dead about baseball. Loads of natural talent.

I do agree there's no way he should have been swinging at that 3-1 pitch, and it clearly would have been a ball. It was dumb.

That said, it is not uncommon at all. Especially for a hyped up rookie. But even vets do it.
"I've suffered a great many tragedies in my life....most of them never happened". Mark Twain

Kubel Claimed By Indians, Not White Sox
By Tim Dierkes [August 26 at 7:31pm CST]
FRIDAY, 7:31pm: The Indians were awarded the claim on Kubel, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.com (via Twitter). However, the 48 hour window for the two sides to work out a deal has passed.

3:44pm: The White Sox did not actually claim Kubel, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney (on Twitter).

The Indians and Twins did exchange names on a potential Jason Kubel deal but Minnesota wanted more than the Tribe was willing to give for a short-term rental, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter).