Re: Just Baseball: Major League teams OTHER THAN the Tribe

CINCINNATI --

In a couple of years, the offseason searches and concerns about who will be the Reds' leadoff man might finally evolve into one definitive name -- Billy Hamilton.

A shortstop and 2009 second-round Draft pick, Hamilton is only 20 but could advance quickly.

"He's a kid we cannot, and will not, be afraid to push. He has too much ability," said Reds vice president of scouting, player development and international operations Bill Bavasi. "We think a lot of him. He's from a good-looking crop of guys that popped out from Billings and Arizona. He's certainly one of the top guys in that group."

Billy Hamilton was recently named the No. 2 prospect in the Reds' organization by Baseball America. (Michael O'Day/MiLB.com)

Hamilton struggled during his first year of pro ball, but returned in 2010 with Rookie-level Billings to bat .318 with a .383 on-base percentage and an organization-leading 48 stolen bases in 57 tries -- all numbers that indicate a guy who can lead off a lineup.

In one game, on Sept. 6, Hamilton stole five bases. He also had a stretch during July and August in which he reached base in 21 consecutive games.

Defensively, Hamilton played 55 of his 69 games at second base. But his range and ability have him projected to be a shortstop.

Baseball America named Hamilton the best prospect of the Pioneer League, and more recently, the No. 2 prospect in the Reds' system. He was also rated as the best athlete and fastest baserunner in the organization.

"He does all the things you want. He's got speed and can run. He has a good arm," Bavasi said. "He's got the aptitude to lead off. I really believe he can be a leader. No matter the situation -- on or off the field -- I hope he's someone who keeps developing, because he gets it. He's not afraid to discuss anything at any time."

Last fall during instructional league at the club's complex in Goodyear, Ariz., Bavasi recalled walking through the equipment room and finding Hamilton leading an entourage of three gentlemen who looked freshly scrubbed from business school. Hamilton was enthusiastically giving the group a tour around the well-appointed facility until finally turning them over to the equipment manager.

"It was the three umpires assigned to our place," Bavasi said. "He was the first kid they saw. They didn't know who he was, and he just said, 'Come with me.' This is stuff that won't make or break his Major League career, but he's that way. He's not afraid to take on responsibility. Those makeups don't come often. He's a really interesting guy and we're lucky to have him."

Although the final decision won't be made until late in Spring Training, all signs point to Hamilton starting 2011 at Class A Dayton. The usually loyal Dragons fans would be wise not to hesitate heading to Fifth Third Field to watch him play. He might not be there long.

"We'll let this kid keep seeking his own level," Bavasi said. "He's got the makeup to struggle a little bit and get through it. We won't hold him back."
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

LANSING, Mich.

If the Dayton Dragons’ mission had been to send a message to likely first-round postseason foe Lansing, mission accomplished.

Billy Hamilton had four hits for the second night in a row and stole two bases — giving him 91 for the season — and Josh Smith pitched six dominant innings as the Dragons topped the Lugnuts again on Tuesday, 6-1.

The Dragons outscored Lansing 36-21 in taking three of four.

Hamilton has nine steals in his last four games. His total is the most in professional baseball since 2001 and tied for the 16th-highest in minor-league history.

Hamilton, the Reds' No.2 rated prospect going into the season, has incredible speed. Some scouts give Hamilton an 80 on the scouting scale for speed. That's the highest possible grade and one that is rarely given. But he knows that to be a leadoff man in the big leagues, getting on base is as key as what you do on the base paths.

Hamilton already holds the Dayton season and franchise records for stolen bases. "My goal is to get to 100," he said. "They've been throwing more pitchouts. I've got to work my pitches, keep running. There's no fear in me. I just keep being aggressive."
“Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is.”
-- Bob Feller

Simply Baseball Notebook's Forgotten In Time

Billy Hamilton
Kansas City Cowboys 1888-89

Philadelphia Phillies 1890-95

Boston Beaneaters 1896-1901

"Sliding" Billy Hamilton was the game's first great lead off hitter and the best player of the 1890s. In fact, few players in history can boast a resume as accomplished as Hamilton's. His .344 career average ranks sixth all time, his 912 steals are third, and he remains the only man to score more runs (1690) than games played (1591).

Billy Hamilton's big league career began in 1888 with the Kansas City Cowboys of the American Association. After playing 35 games that season, the 5-6, 165 pound Hamilton became a regular in 1889 and hit .301 with 111 steals and 144 runs.

Following that season, the Cowboys disbanded and Hamilton's rights were sold to the National League's Philadelphia Phillies. In Philadelphia, Hamilton was part of possibly the greatest outfield trio of all time. Flanked by future Hall of Fame sluggers Ed Delahanty and Sam Thompson, Hamilton roamed center field and acted as a table setter for the one of the greatest hitting teams in history.

With Hamilton, Delahanty, and Thompson leading the way, the Phillies hit .301, .349, and .330 as a team from 1893-95. Much like the modern day Texas Rangers the team lacked the consistent pitching needed to win big and never finished higher than third.

In 1890, Hamilton's first season in Philly, he hit .325, scored 133 runs, and stole 102 bases. He followed that season up with his third straight 100 + steal (111) season in 1891. Although his steals total dipped to 57 in 1892, Hamilton posted a .330 average and tallied 132 runs. Because of a bout with typhoid fever, he played in just 82 games in 1893. Remarkably, Hamilton still managed to score 110 runs and hit .380.

Already an established star, Hamilton's 1894 season etched his place in history. The diminutive center fielder stole a single game record seven bases on August 31, went on a 36 game hitting streak, scored a single season record 192 runs, smacked out 220 hits, reached base at a .523 clip, hit .404, and stole 98 bases during that magical season.

Following another stellar season in 1895 (.389, 166 runs, 97 steals), Hamilton was dealt to the Boston Beaneaters (later the Braves) for 3B Billy Nash. Hamilton didn't miss a beat in Boston, injecting life into the Beaneaters and wreaking havoc on the base paths.

By 1897, Boston had zoomed past Philadelphia in the standings on their way to the NL Pennant. Following that season leg injuries began to take their toll on the speedster and his steals totals became more pedestrian: 50, 33, and 47 from 1898-1900. Hamilton's bat remained effective, however, as he never hit lower than .310 during that span.

In 1901, Hamiltons average dropped below .300 (.287) for the first time since his rookie season and he stole just 20 bases. Following that campaign, Hamilton retired gracefully and remained in Massachusetts until his death in 1940.

Unfortunately, the advent of the long ball era obscured Hamilton's career and he went unnoticed by Hall of Fame voters for years. Finally in 1961, over 20 years after his death, Hamilton gained his rightful place in the Baseball Hall of Fame.
-- Bob Feller

Kubel, Thome reportedly claimed off waivers

By Rhett Bollinger / MLB.com

MINNEAPOLIS --

Jim Thome and Jason Kubel, who were both placed on waivers on Monday, were claimed by unknown teams on Wednesday, according to an ESPN.com report.

The Twins' front office, however, did not offer a comment, as waiver moves are supposed to be confidential, per Major League rules.

Twins manager Ron Gardenhire, though, said he'd heard about the rumors, but wouldn't get into specifics.

"There are some names out there that everybody is talking about and we know that," Gardenhire said. "But that's going to happen whether we can control it or not. You just have to live with it, and hopefully move on. These guys are professionals."

Multiple reports indicated that the White Sox placed claims on both Thome and Kubel, but it's still unknown who won the claims for the two sluggers. The winners have 48 hours to work out a deal, or else the Twins can pull them back off waivers.

Thome, who has a no-trade clause and has never won a World Series, declined to state whether he'd accept a trade to a contender when asked on Monday.

But if the White Sox won the claim on Thome it could be an interesting case, as they entered Wednesday 6 1/2 games back of the Tigers in the American League Central. Thome played in Chicago from 2006-09.

The biggest issue for the White Sox would be finding at-bats for Thome, as Paul Konerko has been serving as the club's designated hitter because of an injured left knee and calf.

Kubel, meanwhile, would be a more attractive option for several teams because of his ability to play the outfield. But he currently projects as a Type B free agent, and could even achieve Type A status, so the Twins would want a good prospect in return to make up for losing a compensation pick, or possibly two, in next year's First-Year Player Draft.
-- Bob Feller

Yanks put in waiver claim on Cubs' Pena

By Carrie Muskat and Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

The Yankees have put in a waiver claim on the Cubs' Carlos Pena, as first reported by SI's Jon Heyman. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman couldn't speak publicly to the waiver process but said on the field at Yankee Stadium that an August trade involving his team still seems unlikely.

"I said I think it'd be very unlikely we made a trade," Cashman said. "I'd be surprised if we wound up doing it. ... I'm going to continue to scan everything, but no, I'm not optimistic of doing anything. I think this is most likely what we've got."

Cashman pointed out that he has imported two players off waivers this month, however -- pitchers Raul Valdes and Aaron Laffey.

Pena has $5 million of his total $10 million contract deferred until January 2012. FoxSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reported that if a trade occurred, the Cubs would pay a pro-rated portion of the contract, and nearly all of the money.

The Cubs were expected to keep Pena, 33, who signed a one-year deal last December. He was batting .222 with 23 homers and 67 RBIs this season, and has reached the 20-homer mark for the fifth straight year.

Pena could be back with the Cubs next year. The team isn't set at first base, even though Bryan Lahair, 28, is on a roll, batting .335 with 34 home runs and 100 RBIs at Triple-A Iowa. LaHair, who went 4-for-5 on Tuesday with four doubles and five RBIs, also has 37 doubles, a .411 on-base percentage and 103 strikeouts. He was expected to be called up in September and get a chance to prove himself at the big league level.
-- Bob Feller

Giants claim Padres closer Bell off waivers

By Adam Berry / MLB.com

SAN FRANCISCO --

Padres closer Heath Bell is no stranger to the world of trade speculation. Especially after a few rumor-filled weeks leading up to the July 31 non-waiver Trade Deadline, the three-time All-Star has grown used to hearing his name involved in any number of proposed trades.

That's why Bell was able to take Wednesday's news that he had been claimed by the Giants on waivers in stride. He found out when he was called by ESPN Radio's "Doug Gottlieb Show," then he confirmed the news with his agent. Bell will walk across AT&T Park to join San Francisco if the Giants and Padres are able to agree to terms on a trade within 48 hours after the Giants made the claim.

If the teams can't reach a deal, the Padres can pull him back from waivers and keep him for the rest of the season. The Giants' claim was first reported by ESPN.com, and The Associated Press confirmed the report, citing four anonymous sources with knowledge of the situation.

"I try not to think about that stuff, but business is business," Bell said. "I know everybody goes on waivers, but the Giants claimed me. They've got their reasons, and I'm still here, so there's really nothing to report. ... They're world champs, so if they claimed me, I feel pretty honored because they want me to be part of that organization."

Giants general manager Brian Sabean has said his club would be active on the waiver wire if only to prevent impact players from falling to other playoff contenders. In this case, that would include the National League West-leading D-backs, two games ahead of the Giants after Bell closed the door on a 7-5 Padres victory Tuesday night. The Giants would likely have to pay a hefty fee in terms of prospects in order to acquire Bell.

The 33-year-old Bell has recorded 35 saves and owns a 2.55 ERA and 1.19 WHIP this season. He racked up 47 saves in 2010 and 42 in '09.

As of Wednesday afternoon, before the Giants and Padres wrapped up their two-game set at AT&T Park, Giants manager Bruce Bochy had not even talked to Sabean about claiming Bell.

"That's common in baseball, especially this time of year. I can't even tell you what all happened," Bochy said. "That happens around baseball, so it just happened to make news. That's what it is right now. When that happens, a club claims somebody, sometimes those two clubs talk and make a deal. I'm not talking about this as much as what happens with other deals."

Added Bell: "Like I said, nothing's happened right now, so I'm a Padre, and I'm pretty happy about that. Until something happens, there's really not much to talk about. It's just basically a bunch of rumors."

Bell was able to joke about the claim, given his experience with playing every day not knowing if he will be dealt somewhere else.

Padres manager Bud Black helped him with that, telling him, "Hey, you're not going anywhere."

Asked where he felt he would be when the 48-hour period to complete a deal comes to an end, Bell replied with certainty.

"I feel like I'm going to Arizona with the Padres," he said, "and we're going to do fantasy football on our off-day and hang out at the pool and go see a couple movies and sweat my butt off when I go run in Arizona for Friday's game."

But there could be a greater need for bullpen help in San Francisco with Giants closer Brian Wilson and right-hander Sergio Romo, two of their most reliable late-inning relievers, currently on the 15-day disabled list with injured throwing elbows. As of Tuesday afternoon, Wilson had yet to resume throwing.
-- Bob Feller

Former Orioles Pitcher Found Dead

Wednesday, August 24, 2011
Jenny Glick

Multiple sources tell WBAL's Gerry Sandusky Former Baltimore Orioles and general manager Mike Flanagan was found dead on his Baltimore County Property today. .

Baltimore County police and fire spokeswoman Elise Armacost tells WBAL police officers discovered a man's body alongside a trail in Monkton late Wednesday afternoon. Armacost did not identify the man.

The officersfound a man's body outside a house on Flanagan's property in the 15000 block of York Road in Monkton shortly before 4:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Police were called to the area for "a person with a suspicious condition." When officers arrived at the scene, they found the man's body along a trail on the property, Armacostsaid.

Police declined to speak about the manner of death until the investigation is complete.

Flanagan made a mark on baseball, he had a rich history with the Orioles.

Flanagan was drafted by the Baltimore Orioles in the 7th round of the 1973 draft. He made his major league debut with the Orioles on September 27, 1975. He became one of the most dependable pitchers for the next nine years, Flanagan went to the All-Star Game in 1978 and won the Cy Young Award in 1979. That season was his best in baseball: with a record of 23-9.

On August 31, 1987, Flanagan was traded to the Toronto Blue Jays. He had two solid seasons for the Blue Jays as a starter , but is best remembered as the pitcher who surrendered an upper-deck shot in the Skydome by Jose Canseco in the 1989 before being converted to a reliever in the 1990 season.

In 1987, Flanagan was traded to the Toronto Blue Jays. Returning as a free agent to Baltimore for the 1991 season, he pitched effectively that season as a reliever. He served stints as pitching coach and broadcaster for the Orioles.

He last worked as a color analyst. In 2010 he worked for the Mid Atlantic Sports network to work as a color analyst.

Sources: Body of ex-Oriole Flanagan found

County police say investigation continuing

By Justin Fenton and Dan Connolly, The Baltimore Sun
10:30 p.m. EDT, August 24, 2011

Former Orioles pitcher Mike Flanagan, a Cy Young Award winner who became a face of the franchise as a television announcer and top executive, was found dead on his Baltimore County property Wednesday afternoon, according to team sources.

A Baltimore County police spokeswoman confirmed that police received a 911 call at 4:26 p.m. reporting a suspicious death in the 15000 block of York Road in Sparks. When officers arrived, they found a man's body on a trail leading to a barn, said spokeswoman Elise Armacost.

Sources said the body was that of Flanagan, 59, a New Hampshire native.

Armacost said police had not confirmed the identity of the body and said the investigation was continuing. She also would not disclose the cause or manner of death. But word spread quickly in baseball circles.

"It's just shock right now," said former Orioles catcher Rick Dempsey. "I know everybody that played with him loved him to death. He was the backbone of that pitching staff. He never quit — this guy never quit. He was there for the duration. We had so many great games and so many great times, I just can't believe it."

At Flanagan's home Wednesday night, a light was on inside the home and a police car blocked the driveway, letting two vehicles enter the property. Some of his neighbors in the rural neighborhood said they had not seen police activity and had not heard anything out of the ordinary.

Property records show Flanagan and his wife, Alex, purchased the 10.5-acre property in 1997 for $525,000. No one answered the phone at his home, and relatives could not be reached for comment.

Flanagan, who was in his second year as a color analyst for the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, spent more than 30 years with the Orioles as a player, coach, front office executive and broadcaster.

Selected by the Orioles in the seventh round of the 1973 amateur draft, Flanagan went on to pitch 18 major league seasons, including parts of 15 with the Orioles. He was a key member of the 1983 world champions, going 12-4 with a 3.30 ERA in the regular season and winning Game 3 of the American League Championship Series against the Chicago White Sox.

The left-hander won 141 games in his Orioles career, including an American League-leading 23 in 1979, when the Orioles lost the World Series to the Pittsburgh Pirates in seven games.

Flanagan won the American League Cy Young Award that year as the league's top pitcher and finished sixth in Most Valuable Player voting. His lone All-Star season was in 1978, when he won 19 games in 40 starts, tied for the most in the league.

The Orioles traded Flanagan to the Toronto Blue Jays on Aug. 31, 1987, for pitchers Oswaldo Peraza and Jose Mesa. Flanagan pitched the remainder of that season and parts of three more for Toronto before returning to the Orioles in 1991 as a 39-year-old free agent, spending the last two seasons of his playing career pitching in relief.

After being named to the Orioles Hall of Fame in 1994, Flanagan served as the team's pitching coach twice, in 1995 under manager Phil Regan and in 1998 under Ray Miller.

He spent 1996-1997 and 1999-2002 broadcasting Orioles games before becoming the club's executive vice president after the 2005 season, a role he held until his contract expired at the end of 2008.

The Reds appear to have another stud second baseman. His name is Torreyes.

Energetic Torreyes stands tall despite his slight build

Venezuelan infielder has scouts raving, teammates in awe.
By Sean McClelland, Staff Writer

Updated 11:36 PM Friday, August 5, 2011

DAYTON — Few knew much about 17-year-old Ronald Torreyes when he joined the Dayton Dragons late last September. And he remained somewhat of a mystery at the start of spring training.

“All I knew was that he was from Venezuela,” Dragons manager Delino DeShields said.

“I heard rumors,” hitting coach Alex Pelaez said. “Then, every time I looked up, there he was, running and diving somewhere. He just had that energy.”

By the time the second baseman, now 18, returned here in mid-June this season, it was as if Roy Hobbs himself had arrived, absent some bulk, of course.

To say the 5-foot-7, 140-pound Torreyes has adjusted nicely to this level of professional baseball is like saying the Dragons know a little bit about selling tickets. Voted the team’s July player of the month by fans, he is a favorite at Fifth Third Field, where crowds marvel not only at his defense but his ability to make consistent contact — he had struck out 11 times in 165 at-bats through Thursday — and hit the ball squarely.

Back home, he is compared to Dustin Pedroia, the similar-in-size Boston Red Sox All-Star second baseman — and nobody laughs. In fact, scouts do not think Torreyes’s stature will hinder his rise to the major leagues and, incredibly, nobody with a trained eye seems to put it past him to make a name for himself at the highest level.

“There have been a lot of ‘little big guys’ make it to the big leagues; Chad Fonville was 5-2 (officially 5-6),” DeShields said, referencing a former Los Angeles Dodgers teammate. “That’s the beauty of our game. You don’t have to be the biggest or the fastest.”

‘Nicest kid ever’

In the clubhouse, Torreyes is everybody’s little brother. Wearing headphones at his locker to block out the commotion of a card game, he snacked on a bowl of animal crackers after batting practice one day this week. As teammates wandered by, some ran their fingers through his bushy hair (which makes him look an inch or two taller) as if for luck.

“Player of the month doesn’t do it justice,” Dragons utility man Frank Pfister said. “He can just flat out hit. And he’s the nicest kid ever, a special kid, real down to earth.”

The Reds signed Torreyes as an international free agent in February 2010. It was not a budget-busting move. It didn’t have to be.

“Other teams thought I was too small,” Torreyes, who speaks little English, said through third baseman David Vidal. “They looked at me as a small person and weren’t going to pay me anything. Then Cincinnati gave me a shot.”

A few months later, playing for the Reds’ affiliate in the Venezuelan Summer League, Torreyes jumped onto prospect radars by hitting .390 to win the batting title. He also led that league in slugging percentage (.606), extra-base hits (34), runs (56), triples (10), hits (94) and total bases (146).

Promoted to the Arizona League Reds after the VSL season, Torreyes hit .349, then went 6-for-25 with the Dragons and made a play that is still talked about.

“Little fly ball into short center,” pitcher Josh Smith recalled, smiling. “He makes a sliding, over-the-shoulder catch with his back to the infield, throws it in and gets a double play.”

Fans at the game voted it the play of the year.

All a mind game

When speaking of Torreyes this week, Pfister, nearly seven years his senior, grew emotional.

“I can’t imagine being in a different country, not knowing the language and having to learn it,” Pfister said, pounding the left side of his chest twice for emphasis. “It’s awesome how he makes it work on and off the field.”

Batting No. 2 in the lineup behind speedy Billy Hamilton doesn’t hurt. Torreyes sees plenty of fastballs as pitchers try to rush the ball to the plate and give their catchers a chance to nail Hamilton if he’s stealing. Most hitters feast on fastballs, and Torreyes is no exception. And his swing, like his body, is short and compact, an approach that guards against extended slumps.

Which tends to explain why he was batting .394 with a team-leading .935 OPS (on-base percentage plus slugging percentage) and why he was at a North Dayton Donatos Pizza restaurant on Friday being honored for his July work.

Torreyes credits his mental approach for what he’s been able to accomplish.

“Playing baseball isn’t difficult,” he said, flashing a smile that revealed the shiny handiwork of an orthodontist in his hometown of Libertado de Barinas. “If you dominate the mind, you’ll dominate everything. I don’t pay (attention) to what people think about me. I just play and let them see what I have.”

Opponents have seen plenty. Too much for their liking at times.

“Teams come in and look at him one way,” Pelaez said. “After he goes 2-for-4, 2-for-4, 2-for-4, they look at him a whole different way.”

Torreyes batted .386 in July with two home runs and 17 runs batted in. Nobody in the Midwest League had more hits or scored more runs. His homers were crushed, leading one scout to hang the nickname “little power plant” on him.

“Power is just about back-spinning the baseball,” DeShields said. “He has a knack for creating backspin. He gets to the ball in good position.”

DeShields knows what opposing pitchers face. He throws batting practice.

“His strike zone is about that big,” DeShields said, holding his hands less than a foot apart. “There isn’t much room for error.”
-- Bob Feller